Warning: Undefined variable $fields in /homepages/23/d623595694/htdocs/voilamalaga/wp-content/plugins/wp-about-author/wp-about-author-admin.php on line 158
Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /homepages/23/d623595694/htdocs/voilamalaga/wp-content/plugins/sem-author-image/sem-author-image.php on line 774
Christmas in Malaga in 2019 is starting tomorrow with the starting of the lights in Calle Larios. Our beloved Antonio Banderas is going to be the one to push the button. But this year there is plenty to see around the city, so taking a few days off to spend in Malaga will be a very good choice. Read here what you can do this Christmas in Malaga.
1. Light show in Malaga center
Malaga’s main street, Calle Larios, is going to be again the focus of every sight, with a light show called “The Christmas woods”. Every day, from November 29th till January 5th, different passes at 6.30 p.m., 8.00 p.m. and 9.30 p.m. will let people enjoy a show with music and lights, with the omnipresent “All I want for Christmas is you” from Mariah Carey and more local carols.
Not only that street will be everybody’s attention. Apart from the Plaza de la Constitución with its big Christmas tree, and another one in Plaza de la Marina, this year we inaugurate a new show in the brand-new refurbished Alameda Principal. In fact, it will be called “The enchanted tree”, and will turn to life one of the centenary trees we have in the Alameda. The show will be also every day, from November 29th till January 5th, in different passes at 7.15 p.m., 9.00 p.m. and 10.15 p.m.
2. Video mapping on the Alcazaba
Another new Christmas attraction in town, this time our Alcazaba will be the screen of 3D projections that will make this building alive. The show is called “A Christmas tale“. It will be shown every day, from November 29th till January 5th, in different passes at 6.30 p.m., 8.00 p.m. and 9.30 p.m.
3. Nativity scenes
A big tradition in Spain, every big public organism and also associations, battle for having the most beautiful crib in town. In Malaga, traditional ones you can’t miss are the ones in the City Hall and in the Cathedral. Entrance is free and a guide of this mangers (in Spanish, Belen), will be found at the tourist info offices. This year a new one is included in this guide, held at the Diputacion de Malaga (Calle Pacifico, 54). A crib of 220 square meters and 17 different scenes will receive the visitors with an interactive show at the hour o’clock, is open now until January 5th from 10.00 a.m. till 9.00 p.m. On December 24 and 31 will close at 5.00 p.m. and closed December 25th and January 1st.
4. Christmas concerts
Music is also a big part of this season. Different concerts will be played in the city. Here you have a few of them:
- December 8th. Midday. Classical music and Christmas carols in Centro Cultural MVA (Calle Ollerias 34) by the young provincial orchestra of Malaga. Free tickets to pick them up from December 1st.
- December 13th, 8.30 p.m. and 14th, 8.00 p.m. The Philharmonic Orchestra of Malaga will play Bach at the Auditorio Edgar Neville (Calle Pacífico, 54). Tickets here.
- December 19th and 20th, 8.30 p.m. The Philharmonic Orchestra of Malaga will play this time Beethoven in the Teatro Cervantes. Tickets here.
- December 13th, 18th, 20th, 21st and 26th at 7.00 p.m. at Museo Carmen Thyssen, different choirs will amuse visitors. Free entrance.
- December 23rd, 8.00 p.m. The young Baroque orchestra of Andalusia will play works from Handel, Bach, Vivaldi and more at the Cathedral. Free entrance.
- December 18th, 21st and 28th, 8.00 p.m. different concerts at the special Sala Maria Cristina. Tickets here.
- December 14th and 20th, 9.00 p.m. at Plaza Paco Márquez, “Zambobá flamenca”, local carols from Andalusia with a flamenco taste. Free.
5. Christmas markets
Placed at the Park of Malaga, in the boulevard in front of the City Hall, many stalls will entertain passers-by, selling products for building your own manger or many other Christmas stuff. On the other side of the road, still at the park, another special market will take place. A food market with local delicacies from the province of Malaga, called “Sabor a Malaga” will also have free tasting and workshops about all the typical food produced in Malaga. From December 5th to 9th, 11.00 a.m. – 9.00 p.m.
We expect as well other Christmas markets will be displayed around town, like in Muelle uno, at the Port of Malaga and in Plaza de la Marina.
6. Three Kings Parade
What all Spanish children await and adults too is the Three Kings day (National Holiday in Spain). This is when traditionally gifts are given, brought by the Three Kings from East, who the day before, parade through all the cities and villages of Spain. Melchior, Caspar and Balthazar will throw sweets to everyone attending the parade. The last day of Spanish Christmas season, parade normally takes place in January 5th at 6.00 p.m. starting from the City Hall and going through the main streets of Malaga.
If you are going to spend a few days in Christmas in Malaga 2019, why not having a tour with us? Our local guide will show you Málaga in a different way and you will discover things that will surprise you!